Toys & Gifts
Physics & Astronomy
COMMITMENT TO YOUR PRIVACY
This site is owned and operated by ScienceIQ.com. Your privacy on the Internet is of the utmost importance to us. At ScienceIQ.com, we want to make your experience online satisfying and safe. Because we gather certain types of information about our users, we feel you should fully understand the terms and conditions surrounding the capture and use of that information. This privacy statement discloses what information we gather and how we use it.
INFORMATION SCIENCEIQ.COM GATHERS AND TRACKS
1. ScienceIQ.com gathers two types of information about users:
a. Information that users provide through optional, voluntary submissions. These are voluntary submissions to subscribe to our services, to receive our electronic newsletters, to participate in our message boards or forums, to email a friend, and from participation in polls and surveys:
b. Information ScienceIQ.com gathers through aggregated tracking information derived mainly by tallying page views throughout our sites. This information allows us to better tailor our content to readers' needs and to help our advertisers and sponsors better understand the demographics of our audience. Because ScienceIQ.com derives its revenue mainly from subscriptions, sponsorships and advertising, providing such aggregated demographic data is essential to keeping our fees reasonable and affordable. Under no circumstances does ScienceIQ.com divulge any information about an individual user to a third party.
2. ScienceIQ.com gathers user information in the following processes:
Optional Voluntary Information
We offer the following services, which require some type of voluntary submission of personal information by users:
a. Electronic newsletters (Dispatches)
We offer an electronic newsletter to users. ScienceIQ.com gathers the email addresses of users who voluntarily subscribe or who voluntarily provide their email addresses to us. Users may remove themselves from this mailing list by following the link provided in every newsletter.
b. "email this to a friend" service
Our site users can choose to electronically forward a link, page, or documents to someone else by clicking "email this to a friend". The user must provide his or her own email address, as well as that of the recipient. This information is used only in the case of transmission errors and, of course, to let the recipient know who sent the email. The information is not used for any other purpose.
ScienceIQ.com may occasionally conduct user surveys to better target our content to our audience. We sometimes share the aggregated demographic information in these surveys with our sponsors, advertisers and partners. We never share any of this information about specific individuals with any third party.
Consistent with the Federal Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA), we will never knowingly request personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 13 without requesting parental consent.
4. Usage tracking
ScienceIQ.com tracks user traffic patterns throughout all of our sites. However, we do not correlate this information with data about individual users. ScienceIQ.com does break down overall usage statistics according to a user's domain name, browser type, and MIME type by reading this information from the browser string (information contained in every user's browser). ScienceIQ.com sometimes tracks and catalogs the search terms that users enter in our Search function, but this tracking is never associated with individual users. We use tracking information to determine which areas of our sites users like and don't like based on traffic to those areas. We do not track what individual users read, but rather how well each page performs overall. This helps us continue to build a better service for you.
USE OF INFORMATION
1. ScienceIQ.com uses any information voluntarily given by our users to enhance their experience in our network of sites, whether to provide interactive or personalized elements on the sites or to better prepare future content based on the interests of our users.
2. As stated above, we use information that users voluntarily provide in order to send out electronic newsletters and to enable users to participate in polls, surveys, message boards, and forums. We send out newsletters to subscribers on a regular schedule (depending on the newsletter), and occasionally send out special editions when we think subscribers might be particularly interested in something we are doing. ScienceIQ.com never shares newsletter mailing lists with any third parties, including advertisers, sponsors or partners.
3. When we use tracking information to determine which areas of our sites users like and don't like based on traffic to those areas, we do not track what individual users read, but rather how well each page performs overall. This helps us continue to build a better service for our subscribers. We track search terms entered in the Search function as one of many measures of what interests our users. But we don't track which terms a particular user enters.
4. ScienceIQ.com creates aggregate reports on user demographics and traffic patterns for advertisers, sponsors and partners. This allows our advertisers to advertise more effectively, and allows our users to receive advertisements that are pertinent to their needs. Because we don't track the usage patterns of individual users, an advertiser or sponsor will never know which specific user clicked their ad. We will not disclose any information about any individual user except to comply with applicable law or valid legal process or to protect the personal safety of our users or the public.
1. ScienceIQ.com operates secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems. Our security and privacy policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary and only authorized individuals have access to the information provided by our customers.
1. When you submit your email address anywhere on ScienceIQ.com you grant us permission to send you email, which may include promotional material, surveys or special offers. We do not share our email database or any other information that we collect with third parties.
1. We give users options wherever necessary and practical. Such choices include:
Opting not to register to receive our electronic newsletters, or email from us.
Opting not to participate in certain interactive areas, which completely alleviates the need to gather any personally identifiable information from our users.